Monday, November 7, 2011

Grateful

 Last week I had the incredible opportunity to go to the Dominican Republic.  I was a little anxious leaving my family at home alone, but they did great without me.  Of course we were all excited to be reunited when I got home.  I took it as a compliment when the comment was made, "our family without mom is like the Colts without Peyton Manning".  WOW!  I'll take that:)

A good friend of mine and I flew from Chicago and met her mom and my mom in Santo Domingo.  We joined 80 other women from the U.S. for an annual women's conference.  We were pampered at the Embassy Suites for most of the week.  It was definitely the most 'cushy-est' missions trip I've been on but believe me...it was packed full of ministry none the less! 
Before the conference started we had a morning of shopping in the capital which is the picture below.  Notice the 'not so safe' electricity wires hanging in the streets.  We met a man, who was making beautiful bracelets for many of our women, whose 19 year old son was killed the week before from a telephone wire that fell on him.  This made me grateful for the safety we have here in our country!
 Our first morning of ministry was to a Maternity Ward at a hospital.  Boy was that difficult.  Our missionary with our group explained how this was a county hospital where there would be 6-8 women in each room, most had their own bed, but not all.  In those rooms there would be women laboring, women who had just  given birth with the baby lying next to them or possibly women no longer pregnant and whose baby was either in intensive care or even deceased.  So in one room, you could have a mother celebrating with her family with a new baby and in the bed next to her, another woman mourning the death of her newborn baby.  Our focus that morning was to simply share Christ with them.  We shared how our hope is in the Lord, no matter what happens here on earth.  We rejoiced as the woman below prayed with us to accept Christ.  The missionary took down several names and phone numbers (if they had phone numbers) and was going to pass them along to the local church for follow up.  We will never know what seeds were planted there that day.  
I'm grateful for modern medicine and hospitals!


 Another day of ministry was putting on a wedding for this sweet couple below in their 70's.  They have been together for years but recently received Christ and wanted to make things right before the Lord.  They could not afford a "real" wedding so we granted that wish and became "wedding crashers".  The group I was with all week, had brought everything from the wedding dress, to flowers, to decor, to the cake to celebrate.  It was humbling to be apart of this day.  After the wedding, we invited all of the women to stay for a craft and hear the gospel presented in a way that correlated with us being the 'bride of Christ'.  That day the local town witch stood up when asked if anyone would like to commit their life to Christ.  The church leaders are excited for this conversion and to see what God does as a result of this decision.  
I'm grateful for celebrations that honor Christ!

 Every time I go, there are certain children that tug at my heart:)  I took the picture above as we were driving home from the wedding.  I imagined what my boys would be doing if they didn't attend school and possibly no supervision all day!
Below is a picture of a beautiful baby girl whose mother recently left a life of prostitution to work at Lily's house. We are excited to hear how God will change the course of her life as a result.

 We also had the opportunity to go to a day care run by a woman whose mission is to get kids off the streets during the day.  In order for children to attend school, they need to be able to afford uniforms.  She has over 80 children that she cares for each day and prepares them for school.  She feeds them, clothes them and teaches them about the Lord.  She was doing this alone in her tiny upstairs apartment until God led people from the U.S. to help her in her endeavor. Now she has a beautiful building to minister in and lives in the upper level.  This little girl below is in need a surgery that one church from the US has offered to pay for.  She has a tumor growing on her brain.  She suffers from headaches and complications every day of her life, and yet she had the biggest smile for us. I'm grateful for people with BIG hearts!
 Our last day, a couple of us, were able to attend a local women's meeting.  These women have shown leadership skills and abilities in the local churches.  The missionary gathered them together to hear testimony and encouragement from a couple of us then at the end we were able to grant a simple wish by giving them a 'sandwich maker'.  Fresh bread is a rarity, so a sandwich maker is great for making stale bread taste good! I compared it to Oprah's giveaways.  They were so excited and hugs were all around.  It was fun to bless them in this way. I'm grateful for women around the world making a difference for Christ! 

One ministry I don't have a picture of was when I and few others from my group, went out and walked the streets witnessing to the local prostitutes.  This is a weekly commitment that a few of the missionaries do.  Women are waiting at open bars for a phone call from a man up in a hotel room.  One of the women we met told us that she has 3 sons under 11yrs old at home alone and that she couldn't go home until she had made enough money to buy food to feed them the next morning.  Every week the missionaries talk to woman after woman about Christ and how He loves them so much and wants so much more for them.  A small group went out each evening and invited them to a luncheon at the Embassy just for them!  About 30 women came to that event. They heard the gospel and about Lily's House where they offer hope and healing from this devastating lifestyle.  We are praying that God uses that in a might way to reach them for HIM!  It was exciting to be a part of.  I'm grateful that I find my hope and significance in HIM and not anyone here on earth.
 Above are some 'new' friends' ministering in the D.R. as missionaries. 

  Below is the beauty of the Caribbean!  I tried my best to soak it up until I return again:)
I'm truly grateful for those who made it possible for me to go.  From a provided ticket, conference fee, transportation and those who went above and beyond at home to care for my family.  
It was a highlight of my life!

6 comments:

Carrie said...

So awesome Kelly! I cried through most of the post! What a great opportunity! So glad you got to be part of it!

Julie said...

This made me cry:) Several times actually. Starting with your boys sweet comment...and then definitely with all those sweet children's faces. Glad you could be a part of such a special week! Miss you guys!

Allee Worley said...

Oh I love it :)) Miss you! Hope to see you next year... I am praying about doing GAP!

Melanie said...

How awesome to be a part of such a great trip to spread God's word. I have never had the chance to go on a missions trip - I see what I have missed out on. It certainly touched my heart....

Tricia said...

Wow...like the other comments, I cried through the whole post. God is so amazing and AWESOME! Thank you for sharing...so when can I go back with you?????

Jan Lehman said...

...and we all know how sorry those Colts are without Peyton Manning! What sweet, sweet pictures and stories.