This summer my cousin Pam came for a visit and got us hooked on a fun easy dessert. They are cake balls. They are exactly what they say they are...balls of cake! Ironically, I had 3 people over the last couple of days ask me how to make them so I thought I would post a 'tutorial'.
Basically you bake a boxed cake according to package directions. Now the possibilities are endless and I'll list some ideas at the end.
(about 20-25) but you can make them big if you want. Place them on a cookie sheet.
Put them in the freezer about 30 min. or so just to get them hard and easy to handle.
Then melt a brick of chocolate bark (white or dark) in a glass pie plate in the microwave. One at a time roll the balls in and put them on wax paper and sprinkle them immediately with sprinkles. Let them harden and enjoy! These have been a big hit for birthday parties! They are incredible! Some kinds that we have tried or thought to try are:
Confetti cake with vanilla frosting
Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
Red velvet cake with choice of frosting
Lemon cake with vanilla frosting
Get the picture? Lots of ideas!
Have fun and watch out...they are addicting!
7 comments:
Kelly, We've made these too and have also gotten the same response from people. I've only ever used the second half of the birthday cake that never seems to get eaten, but making a cake just for making the cake balls is just as wonderful. We usually make them in March because we have 3 birthdays that month. The only thing I don't like about them is the name! Men especially tend to snicker when I say, "They're cake balls." We tried to come up with a better name, but still haven't settled on one. Do you guys have any ideas?
mmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy.......eat one for me.....my favorite is chocolate with chocolate dipped in white bark.........wish i was there to enjoy them with you.....love you
i've so wanted to try these ever since i saw them on bakerella! i'll have to give them a try as my christmas goodie for teachers this year!
THey look so good.. i tried to make them here, and didn't do too well..... made them to big..... good tasting.........
We will make them, and we will call them cake bites...:)
I made these for a Christmas party this year. Yum!
Sounds way yummy! I am so going to try them. Thanks for the recipe!
Jen
Post a Comment